Sign Up for Your FREE Library Card Today!
Having an Amherst Town Library card will enable you to access a wide variety of services such as borrowing materials, using subscription online databases, reserving the use of a computer, attending programs and much more.
Already have a card?
About Your Library Card
Library cards are available to anyone living, working or owning property in Amherst. Cards are also available to non-residents for a fee.
- Residents and property owners should present a photo ID and printed verification of address when applying for a card.
- Employees working in Amherst should bring a letter verifying employment signed by their employer.
- Student cards are issued to non-residents attending Amherst Middle School and Souhegan High School. Cards are valid year-round until graduation. Student cards must be renewed at the beginning of each school year.
- Non-Residents may purchase a family membership for $100.00/year. One card is issued and may be used by any member of the family. Additional cards are $5.00.
- Institutional cards are available to educational organizations within the Town of Amherst at the discretion of the library director.
- 7 days: Fiction videos (DVD), juvenile videos
- 14 days: Books, audiobooks, nonfiction videos (DVD), music CDs, periodicals, pamphlets, CD-ROMs
- 21 days: Interlibrary loans
- Extended & Vacation Loans All items except new fiction and fiction DVDs may be available for extended/vacation loan upon request.
Most materials may be renewed twice in person, by telephone or electronically. New fiction, fiction videos and DVD’s may be renewed once. Items on hold for another patron may not be renewed. Exceptions to this rule may be made for very long books or other materials requiring longer than 14 days to use.Click here to login to your library card account.
$.10/day - Books, audios, magazines, CDs, CD-rom/computer software, puzzle
$.25/day - Materials borrowed from another library
$1.00/day - DVDs
Maximum Fines (overdue fines accrue up to a maximum per item cap)
$4.00 - Books, audios, magazines, CDs, puzzles
$2.00 - Paperbacks
$10.00 - DVDs
No materials will be loaned to a patron owing a fine of $5.00 or more or to a patron who has not returned books and paid the fees after receiving a final notice
Lost or Stolen Cards
If your library card is lost or stolen, please report it immediately. Library patrons are responsible for all materials checked out on their library cards; so, it is very important to notify the library in the event that the card is lost or stolen. A replacement fee of $2.00 will be charged for all new cards.
GMILCS/ Common Borrower Card
Your Amherst Town Library card will be honored at the following GMILCS libraries:
- Amherst Town Library
- Bedford Public Library
- Danforth Library (New England College)
- Derry Public Library
- Goffstown Public Library
- Hooksett Public Library
- Kelley Library in Salem
- Manchester City Library
- Merrimack Public Library
- Nesmith Library in Windham
- Teti Library (NH Institute of Art)
- Wadleigh Memorial Library in Milford
- West Manchester Community Library
Please present your valid library card when borrowing materials. A valid card is one that has not expired, has no charges for lost materials or has no excessive fines.
Please Note: All GMILCS libraries maintain different lending policies. Some restrictions do apply. Please check the individual libraries for specific information before you visit.
Email Notification @ The Amherst Town Library
Provide us your email address, we will…
- Remind you before items are due!
- Notify you when requested items are available for pick up at the library
- Send overdue notices to your inbox
Email addresses will not be sold, shared or used for anything other communications regarding library specific services.
Call us at 673-2288 to have us add yours to our system.